Sunday 12 February 2017

Popularity of Surnames Globally

Sons carry the family name through generation after generation. Daughters, if they marry a man, take on their husbands' surname. With this principle, I can say that the growth of a surname in popularity depends on how many males are born into the family. Those with the most males in the family will have a more common surname and those that do not have many males in the family will not grow as quickly.

I wondered this process of inheriting surnames happened all over the globe and if the surnames were in any way related. This is what I found:

Country:
Most Common Surname:
Argentina
Fernandez
Barbados
Alleyne
China
Lǐ ()
Croatia
Horvat
Denmark
Jensen
Equatorial Guinea
Nquema
Finland
Virtanen
India
Devi
Ireland
Murphy
Madagascar
Rakotomalala
Russia
Ivanova
Tanzania
Juma


Also during my investigation, I discovered that some countries have completely different systems than the one I’m used to. For example in Egypt, the typical name is {your name} {your father’s name} {your father’s father’s name}. In this scenario, my name would be Henry Peter Colin and my mother’s name would be Mary Ciarán (Kieran) Pádraig (Patrick). In some Indonesian countries, people tend not to have any form of surname at all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment