Thursday 9 February 2017

The Popularity of Names Over Time

As I noticed that my grandparents and all of their friends’ names are quite different to my and my siblings’ names, I thought it would be interesting to look into the most popular names over time. To find out whether or not this change just happens in the society that I live or if it happens in various other countries, I thought I’d investigate and this is what I found:


France 1910 (f)
France 2010 (f)
France 1910 (m)
France 2010 (m)
1
Marie
Emma
Jean
Nathan
2
Jeanne
Léa
André
Lucas
3
Marguerite
Chloé
Louis
Enzo
4
Madeleine
Manon
Pierre
Léo
5
Germaine
Inès
Marcel
Louis
6
Yvonne
Lola
Henri
Hugo
7
Suzanne
Jade
René
Gabriel
8
Louise
Camille
Joseph
Ethan
9
Marcelle
Sarah
Georges
Mathis
10
Lucienne
Louise
Maurice
Jules


Spain 1910 (f)
Spain 2010 (f)
Spain 1910 (m)
Spain 2010 (m)
1
María
Sofía
Juan
Santiago
2
Carmen
Valentina
Antonio
Sebastián
3
Josefa
Isabella
Manuel
Matías
4
Dolores
Camila
Francisco
Nicolás
5
Francisca
Valeria
José
Samuel
6
Antonia
Mariana
Pedro
Alejandro
7
María-Carmen
Gabriela
Miguel
Mateo
8
Isabel
Sara
Luis
Diego
9
Pilar
Daniela
Ramón
Benjamín
10
Concepción
María-José
Ángel
Daniel


USA 1910 (f)
USA 2010 (f)
USA 1910 (m)
USA 2010 (m)
1
Mary
Sophia
John
Aiden
2
Helen
Isabella
James
Jacob
3
Margaret
Olivia
William
Jackson
4
Dorothy
Emma
Robert
Ethan
5
Ruth
Chloe
George
Jayden
6
Anna
Ava
Joseph
Noah
7
Elizabeth
Lily
Charles
Logan
8
Mildred
Madison
Frank
Caden
9
Marie
Addison
Edward
Lucas
10
Alice
Abigail
Henry
Liam

At first, I saw that the name “Mary” and its variations were the most popular female names of those born in 1910 from these countries. I believe that this was because of the influence of Christianity in these countries. When I made this observation, I compared it to the males’ names. The equivalents of “John” in these countries seemed to also be very popular. This intrigued me because I found that the most popular names were Christian, I guess this proves how important people felt that their religious beliefs were.
However, if we compare 1910 to 2010, we see that the most popular names in each of the different countries are not variations of each other. By this, I mean they’re not Michel (FR), Miguel (SP) and Michael (US). Instead, they are diverse and there isn’t any visible connection or link. The only reason that I can think of to explain this result is that people are perhaps not as traditional as they used to be and have learnt to be more accepting of change. 



No comments:

Post a Comment